12 Things Being a Good SEO is all About
In my humble opinion there is a lot of misinformation out there about SEO. This list is an effort to cut through the rubbish and let you know what a good SEO professional should be doing.
A good SEO professional should:
- Add value to the web
- Create unique and engaging content
- Improve traffic and conversions (not just rankings)
- Understand website technology (html/css, programming, .htaccess files, site architecture, internal linking structure, anchor text, how search engines crawl websites, page speed, etc.
- Understand how web optimization fits into different business models and how it should integrate with other marketing channels.
- Understand how search engines judge backlinks (linking c-blocks, linking root domains, historical backlink acquisition, link velocity etc.
- Understand the concepts of inbound marketing.
- Know about the art and science of keyword research — search volume, rankings, competitiveness, search intent.
- Understand social media, how it improves not only rankings but trust and authority for a business.
- Test, measure and track everything
- Be completely transparent with their clients about everything they do
- Bring a measurable and substantial ROI over the long term