Ten Things to do after installing WordPress
Installation of WordPress is quick and simple for many which is included by most hosting providers. Once installed the real work begins. Here are 10 things you should do after installing wordpress blog. If you are a client of ours you are in luck as we do all this stuff as standard practice and a bit more.
- Registration : Register at wordpress.com to get an API key required to activate Anti-spam comment’s plugin Akismet.
- Change structure of permalinks : By default, wordpress permalink setting is something like ../?p=123blahblahblah. It is recommended to have search engine friendly URL structure, change this to /% postname%. This will give you pretty urls like yourdomain.com/portfolio. The options are available under settings menu of your WordPress dashboard.
- Implement system cache : Improve performance of your blog by installing a cache plugin. It increases the response speed and minimizes server load. There are a few to choose from, personally I use Wp-cache. I recommend turning this off when you are developing your site, it will confuse the hell out of you when you are wondering why noting you do appears to be updating.
- Create Sitemap : This is essential, your Sitemap is something which helps Search engines to crawl your site content more easily. It can be created by simply installing the Google XML site map plugin.
- Change Feed direction to feedburner : Install FeedSmith plugin to do this.
- Add tracking code : Track the performance of your site. Add google analytics, Statcounter or some other one. Personally I use Google, but I have also heard that Statcounter is reliable.
- Add your site on Webmasters’ tools : Google Webmasters’ tools has all functions that lets you upload your sitemap for fast indexing and gives search statistics and errors related to your site.
- Create robots.txt : Using Google Webmasters tool you can analyze if you already have one or you it can generate one for you.
- Design : First impressions count, make sure your blog looks it’s best with a clear navigation structure. There are loads of great themes out there and loads of rubbish ones too, look beyond the looks of a theme and do a bit of research before committing yourself, you may regret it later.
- Start Content posting : Tell the world what you are going to write about and introduce yourself. Add a contact page with Wp-contact form plugin or my one of my favourites CformsII. Remember to create an about page for visitors to find out more about you.
There are a ton of other things that you could also do, but this list should be the essentials covered. Good luck!